Dear KU Hunger Advocates,
Over the past year, KU Fights Hunger has made great strides in changing the face of hunger on campus. After working with the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs, it has been decided to develop a new committee focused on food insecurity. While these changes were in the works, we were holding off on making any major decisions or announcements about the future of KU Fights Hunger.
However, with the launch of the new Food Insecurity Committee this summer, the KUFH leadership team has decided that it will be most effective for KU Fights Hunger to live on not as a campus organization but as a movement. We will continue to coordinate our annual food drive and hunger summit, with support from the Center for Sustainability, and the website at www.hunger.ku.edu will finally be developed as a resource for those seeking assistance or wanting to get involved with efforts to help those in need.
The new committee will address many of the same goals that KU Fights Hunger did as an organization, especially those related to raising awareness about local hunger and identifying resources to assist members of the campus community who are facing food and nutrition insecurity. Draft charges for this committee include:
- Identify current campus emergency assistance resources available for KU Student to better understand gaps in aid.
- Collaborate with key departments on campus to educate on current food insecurity rates and campus resources.
- Develop of a strategic campaign to share research on food insecurity rates on the University of Kansas campus.
- Duplicate the food insecurity research project to better understand faculty, staff, and graduate student food security status.
- Research peer institutions to learn more about successful programs, services, and best practices to help students in need of emergency assistance resources.
- Develop a proposal for university wide policy and procedural changes to help students in need of emergency assistance.
As the work of this committee takes shape, we hope you will stay informed through the new website (once it is launched) and contribute to the fight against hunger as campus partners. You can also continue to contact members of the new committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you all for your ongoing support and efforts to address food and nutrition insecurity on our campus and in our community!
Kelsey Fortin, Chair
Student Affairs Food Insecurity Committee
Jeff Severin, Past President
KU Fights Hunger