LAWRENCE — The University of Kansas Center for Sustainability will recognize 10 individuals and initiatives with Sustainability Leadership Awards today, April 27. The event, which is open to the public, will take place at 3:30 p.m. on the Dance Pavilion west of Potter Lake. The Sustainability Leadership Awards highlight outstanding leadership and creativity in addressing issues of ecology, efficiency and equity on the KU campus and in the broader community. Award recipients are nominated by their peers and selected by a committee that includes past award winners.
The 2018 Sustainability Leadership Award recipients and their respective areas of recognition:
- Asif Haque, Olathe sophomore, environmental studies and journalism, Student Leadership
- Bixi Qiao, Beijing doctoral student, educational psychology and research – Student Scholarship
- Environmental Studies Capstone, Elementary School Garden – Leadership Project
- Doug Clopton, lecturer, School of Business – Faculty Leadership
- John Head, Robert W. Wagstaff Distinguished Professor, School of Law – Faculty Scholarship
- KU Edwards Campus Sustainability Committee – Organizational Leadership
- Lon Dehnert, assistant dean, School of Education – Energy Conservation
- Shawn Harding, assistant director, Facilities Services – Staff Leadership
- Davide Lionetti, postdoctoral scholar, Department of Chemistry – Staff Scholarship
- The Commons – Social Justice.
Along with these awardees, the center will recognize 24 Green Office recipients. The Green Office program acknowledges campus departments and offices that are working to use campus resources more efficiently and create a more sustainable workplace. Offices and departments can achieve three different levels of recognition based on the sustainable practices and activities adopted throughout the department.
Details about the award and this year’s awardees can be found at www.sustain.ku.edu/awards.